Skip to content
  • Welcome to the City of Blue Mound Website!

Do I need a Permit?

Permit applications are in the process of being updated to conform to the new Fee Schedule approved on February 20, 2024. Please be advised that any old permit forms may have old pricing that is no longer valid. Please discard these applications and contact the permit department at [email protected].

Commercial work requires a specialized permit app as we are transitioning to a new vendor. Please contact the Permit Office for any commercial projects.

A permit is required for any construction, change in use or occupancy, alteration, and/or repair of any structure, building, or building system including plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and irrigation systems. If in doubt, please contact the City of Blue Mound before starting any work. A brief list of projects that require a permit are located further down this page. If the permit type does not have a link to a permit form, you may submit a General Permit Application and all supporting documentation.

Failure to obtain a permit when required before starting work will result in penalties and/or citations.

We require contractors to register each calendar year. Please be sure to include the government issued picture ID of the person signing the form, Certificate of Insurance listing “City of Blue Mound” as a certificate holder, and any trade licenses/ROW Insurance as required on the Contractor Registration form. Homestead homeowners that reside in the home may act as their own contractor, but all work performed must still meet the requirements of the applicable code that governs the work to be done and must perform the work themselves.

Permits, once issued, are valid for 180 days from the date of issuance unless construction has commenced within the 180 days of issuance. If the project has not been completed and inspected within 180 days from the date of issuance, a written request for extension may be submitted prior to the expiration of the permit. All permitted items must follow the required Code Standard and must be inspected. A home owner that occupies the home (Homestead Owners) may act as their own general contractor, but must perform the work themselves in compliance with the applicable building codes.

Below is a brief list of the most common required residential permits and links to available forms.

This list is not all inclusive

  • Additions, renovations or new construction (All contractors must be registered and listed on the Permit form)
  • Roofing replacement including shingles
  • Non-Right-of-Way Concrete (Driveway up to the Right-of-Way, patio or walkway)
  • Right-of-Way Concrete -(Any work in the City Right-of-Way) **Requires plan review by Public Works Supervisor
  • Accessory buildings over 200 square feet
  • Standalone Plumbing
  • Standalone Mechanical (Heat and Air)
  • Standalone Electrical
  • Door, window or siding replacement
  • Decks over 6″ above grade
  • Fencing replacement 6 ft or taller
  • Carports (Maximum size 24’x24′ and may not encroach on the Right-of-Way)
  • Pool installation – Multiple trades and inspections required
  • Solar Panels (Electrical and Structural Contractor Registration required)

Permits are not required for “cosmetic” changes. Examples include floor or wall covering, painting, cabinets, counter tops, shelving, etc. Contact the Permit office to verify if your project requires a permit before work begins.

Zoning Map